Friday, January 27, 2012

Why does a vegan diet put you more at risk for depression and what can I do to fix it?

I've been a vegetarian for the longest time and a vegan for about a year. Last year I was diagnosed with clinical depression. I was recently told that being vegan puts you at a higher risk .. but I don't understand why.



Now that I have been diagnosed, I want to change my diet but eating meat is not an option for me. I'd probably puke it up. Scratch that, I would.Why does a vegan diet put you more at risk for depression and what can I do to fix it?
Depression is often genetic, but it is possible that you lack some nutrients. (Although omnivores often miss a larger number of nutrients, so I'm uncertain that vegans really have a higher risk unless it's because of your concern for others.) Some of the things you might want to take supplements of are B12 (there are vegan sublinguals), omega 3 fatty acids (such as flax oil--I take flax oil capsules--or walnuts), vitamin D, and calcium.Why does a vegan diet put you more at risk for depression and what can I do to fix it?
how about seafood? If you are a vegan, you might not want to go straight to red meat.. try white meat like chicken, clam, shrimp, or fish. note that humans are omnivores, which means we can survive off eating both plants and animals. eating only one can lead to a lack of nutrients from the other. if someone was a pure meat eater, he/she might also experience clinical depression from lack of nutrients from vegetables. you could ask your doctor for a more detailed explanation on why this happens.Why does a vegan diet put you more at risk for depression and what can I do to fix it?
clinical depression has a hereditary componant and is unlikley to actually be caused by your veg*n diet, tho it can be complicite as no veg*n i personally know is actually healthy and all are more prone to injury.Why does a vegan diet put you more at risk for depression and what can I do to fix it?
Good hearty food = happiness
I have never heard that vegetarianism puts one at risk for depression, and I would need to see more peer-reviewed research, and quite frankly, substantial amounts of evidence before I would believe that assertion. My only thought is that vegetarians may be more thoughtful, caring, and sensitive souls where it comes to the world they inhabit. I feel sadness when I see an innocent baby lamb, alive and frolicking near its mother one day--then butchered and on someone's plate the next day. The sense of sadness and grief is so keen that I have its a visceral reaction--physical pain. It's a sadness that's compounded a thousand-fold when I see people around me eating meat with no conscious awareness of the pain and suffering that's a direct consequence of their enjoyment. If, as vegetarians, we are more prone to depression- that is the reason-we know we can't affect how other people eat, and when someone sticks a lamb or veal (baby cow) into their mouth it's like watching legalized murder. It's so horribly sad to think that way, and I have trouble with the "live and let live" argument because to me eating meat is murder. Especially since fruits, vegetables, grains, nut meats and other non-animal foods are plentiful in today's society, so we no longer need animal flesh to survive. The sad thing is that ours is really the first generation (worldwide) where people eat animals not for survival, but for their own glutonous enjoyment. Cultures of old rarely ate meat if other food sources were present. And when they did eat meat, they reveered the animal for its sacrifice, and used the entire carcass, considering any waste an afront to the animal's sacrifice. As a vegetarian myself, I urge you--no matter what you decide to eat- to always do so consciously-know what you're eating and be thankful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment