Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Can I mow my lawn if I have a vegan diet?

I am becoming very conscious of my vegan diet. I read a scientific study that said that grass actually has feelings and is stressed when it is cut. If I am a vegan can I mow my lawn in good conscious? I may not be murdering the precious blades of grass but I would be torturing hundreds of thousands of my new green friends. What do I do? There is a town ordinance that will fine me if I don't cut my grass. Is it morally right for city hall to demand that I torture my grass? What would a good vegan do?Can I mow my lawn if I have a vegan diet?
I don't think it's the lawn that's the problem here. As others have written, the grass actually thrives after a good trim. Pulling grass up by the roots would destroy it, yet clipping it would not.



Similarly, practitioners of Jainism will not eat root vegetables because it kills the plant, but will eat whatever can preserve the life of the plant from which they eat.



But you are overlooking all of the other organisms you are trampling every time you mow your lawn. What about the ants, grubs, weevils and other bugs that live in your lawn? What about the moles, mice, voles, and others who have burrowed into your lawn?



For that matter what about the billions of microscopic organisms that you vanquish every time you cut your grass? Or every time you take a step? Or what about the ones that are in the air you breathe?



Just being alive causes violence to other beings.Can I mow my lawn if I have a vegan diet?
I think the answer is a good one but I don't share your perspective on sources. Although I find Wikipedia to be a generally reliable and credible source of information but I wouldn't consider it a reputable source anymore than Yahoo Answers.

Report Abuse


Since grass thrive after a trim then they are not doing to badly.Can I mow my lawn if I have a vegan diet?
yes mow ur lawn but not to short
It is okay to cut the lawn provided your mower runs on bio diesel :))Can I mow my lawn if I have a vegan diet?
GET A GRIP !!!!!!!
So crushing lettuce between your teeth, AS A VEGAN, is OK, though??? Go cut your grass. Stop being lazy. ;)
I'm sure you're not "torturing" your grass. by stress they probably mean that the blades will become weaker, but they don't have "emotional" feeling.
are you sure that study was not a joke?
only if you're going to eat it, otherwise it'd be no different than hunters who don't eat their prey
well



maybe its ok to pull one blade at a time



really slowly



then eat the white root part



appologize to that blade of grass when you do that
Yeah, mow it. Your murderous psycho-path! Just don't give a damn about it's feelings. I pity you! I suppose you dead-head your flowers too! Damn you! You probably pull poor carrots out of the ground and rip cucumbers from their vines. My god, you disgust me!
If you are worried about hurting or killing grass by cutting it, then how can you eat vegetables that someone else

has injured, cut, or killed.



Remember you are what you eat, cows are just nature's way of processing grass.
You are not stressing the grass too terribly much. I think what the study meant is not that the grass has feelings, but that it may become weakened. I'd say just mow it when it absolutely needs it and the grass will continue to be lush and happy, as well as healthy. I think as long as you don't continually butcher the grass every day, it should be the equivient of the grass getting a haircut. Don't worry about it at all. Keep up the veganism!
You can mow all day long. If you are a vegan then you are killing thousands of plants with potential "feelings" to eat aren't you? I guess you should be eating or recycling the grass as not to waste it.

I am not a vegan, but I hope this perspective may help.
There is no scientific study that proves have feelings.Do plants have brains or a nervous system? No,so they can't feel pain.
You're an idiot.
It is OK to cut your grass only if you use it for your own consumption. If you do anything else with it it would be mass murder.
Is it fun to live in such a narrow minded world?
You eat plants, they must be harvested much like grass, what is the problem, too obsessive, be careful.
Its just grass, it doesnt feel what you are doing to it like animals.
CUT THE GRASS!
I assume that you're kidding, or at least 1/2 kidding. I was vegan for a number of years and my understanding was that I was attempting to minimize my negative impact on all sentient beings. This did not affect my actions in regards to plants but it did make me aware of many of the less obvious ways that my actions impacted other sentient beings.



I applaud you undertaking a very conscious vegan diet and for asking questions. I would suggest taking incremental steps towards your goal and do plenty of reflection along the way. The answers will come to you with or without Yahoo Answers.
Ok, vegans are for animal rights and their health. Yes, you can mow your lawn.
Sure, mow away with the confidence that you are far less likely to have a HEART ATTACK while you're out there pushing that mower around than you would be if you ate MEAT.



P.S. You're not fooling anyone.





P.S.S. Ugh, apparently you ARE fooling some people, judging by some of the answers. Most of us know you're just a troll. A big, hairy, ugly, very-likely-in-the-early-stages-of-heart鈥?troll. Poor thing!
You're not serious I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment