Monday, January 30, 2012

Is a Raw Vegan Diet healthful for diabetes and high blood pressure?

Is a raw vegan diet healthful over a long period of time, especially with diabetes and high blood pressure? I am trying to switch to a raw vegan diet, but my dietitian insists it is not healthful. Has anybody here tried it long-term, or know anybody who has? I'm wanting to lose a lot of weight, and I've been making a lot of salads, with cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, green bell peppers, celery, onions, carrots ... and then I pour on a bunch of vinegar and lemon juice. It's tasty, nutritious, and very low-calorie. It seems to be working for me, but my dietitian isn't happy. And I didn't even tell you what my primary care physician thinks about my decision to quit all my diabetes and blood pressure medications and just rely on a raw vegan diet instead of the meds ... except that I'm going to have to find another primary care physician.Is a Raw Vegan Diet healthful for diabetes and high blood pressure?
Did you know that with sensitive listening equipment vegetables have been recorded screaming when eaten. At least cook them fast to be humane. Also, vegetables reduce greenhouse gases and release oxygen so that we all may live. And you eat them? Animals are part of the problem with global warming, but dont deserve to suffer either. We really shouldn't eat anything but each other. I've had enough of this business of killing a cotton plant just so you can wear its fibers as clothing. I'd rather go naked.Is a Raw Vegan Diet healthful for diabetes and high blood pressure?
Raw Vegan Diet is not good eating all the time for diabetes and for people with high blood pressure.
I think that it would be very healthy for that, but.......



You should listen to your primary care physician. With the diet switch you should be able to gradually reduce the meds and possible eventually be off of them but your primary care physician should be the one to monitor that progress.

With the Raw Vegan Diet how are you getting enough protein?

You will need nuts and grains for that.

Smoothies with supplements would be good too.

Good LuckIs a Raw Vegan Diet healthful for diabetes and high blood pressure?
Hey Oldgruff, I applaud you for trying Sir. I tried but did not follow through, I was initially afraid but lasted about 6 months, lost alot of weight. Seems like Drs. almost want a person to stay on the shots and all of that stuff. Im back on my meds, I wish you the best and would like to know how it goes for you, Good Luck!!



Ed
OH DEAR! I can fully understand the strong desire to lose weight as soon as possible-- we all feel that way. But losing your life isn't worth the "fastest" weight loss---and both biabetes and hypertension (which is known as the "silent killer" for a reason) can cost you an early grave if you do NOT take care of the issues that surround them both.

Not telling your primary provider about your changes is NOT safe for you and your dietician is specialized in areas of nutrition that most people are unaware of.

In your case, both of these conditions are not to be taken lightly and you are as well being unfair to your provider who is working towards helping you stay alive: if God forbide anything happens to you, your provider (and the nurses that will end up providing your hospital care) will be in the woods as to what the cause of your demise was--- and sometimes wasting precious time trying to decipher and figure out "what went wrong", will cost you time you probably wont have at that time.

I implore to you to PLEASE do NOT abruptly discontinue your medications, work WITH your dietician and provider, and take the healthy LIFESTYLE CHANGE approach which includes the proper food choices AND excercise, in order to live a long life---- you owe that to those around you who love you. Right now you are playing russian roulette... and it will catch up with you.Is a Raw Vegan Diet healthful for diabetes and high blood pressure?
hi.. it is ok to continue that diet but the problem is that your body needs proteins to help repair your cells... if its ok with you convert 30% of your regular diet to protein. lean meats and fish could help you as well... 70% of it is your veggies... this is a good ratio for you... for your hypertension try looking for ionized magnesium food supplement to control your blood pressure..



Good luck and best of health...
I'm always amazed by people who decide not to take their medications any more. Though, I have to admit, I don't always take mine as I should. Depending on the degree of your diabetes, I wouldn't recommend going cold turkey on the meds. However, I would agree that the raw vegan diet would be very good for it. Though I've never made it pass 6 days, my glucose levels were awesome! Not really sure how it effects the blood pressure. But when I ate better, I lost weight and my bp levels were better.



Personally, I don't think any food group should be completely eliminated from a person's diet. Just good portion control.



Best of luck to you, and please consider not dropping your medications completely.
I myself am a "borderline" diabetic.



We should avoid refined sugar in any form.



Please be aware that our body needs "sugar" to fuel its functions.



Along with your nice and delicious salads, throw in sweet fruits such as mangoes, pineapples and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment